Today is my 30th Birthday.
Do I feel different? Nope. While it is true that I have been regretting getting older and turning 30; I am only a day older today than I was yesterday. Today I am thinking of all of those who do not make it to 30. I have had several classmates and even my Step-Brother die tragically and not live to see their 30th Birthday. So, I am very lucky and greatful just to be able to experience another full decade.
As a teenager when you have more time to think and plan you create a determined path for your life. "I will be married by 25", "I will be a Pharmacist/Psychiatrist/Psychologist by 30". Did I accomplish everything I wanted to by 30? No way! Hey, life happens. I thought it would be fun to share some of my teenage goals and what I have accomplished (in bold) and what I haven't.
1. Get Married by the age of 25 - Accomplished AND I definitely found the perfect guy for me! We have been together for 11 years now and we were married June 27, 2007 when I was 23.
2. Have a degree and career (which career has changed many times) by the age of 25 - I am still a little undecided on what to do. I have an AA and a gazillion credits, but everyone I know with a degree can't find a job in that field. I am now leaning towards Computer Graphics/ IT. My new goal is to be situated in a career by 33.
3. Own a home by the age of 30 - Accomplished! We did cut it close though. We purchased our first home a little over a month ago.
4. Have two kids by the age of 30 - Nope. I am waiting for #2 to be accomplished before tackling this one. I am wanting to have them soon though, so hopefully I can find my career and get settled in quickly. Maybe in 2-3 years.
5. Have my debt under control - This is more of an ongoing life time goal. I am SO happy to report that right now our only debt is our new home mortgage which we can definitely afford. While I do not make as much as I would have hoped by now, we are doing great on this aspect.
3/5 isn't too bad, right? After all they were teenager dreams. The important part is that I am happy. I have had a lot of trauma and bad things to happen in my 20's, but overall my 20's have been amazing. I have had lots of fun and I am completely happy with everything in my life at the moment other than my career and that will get here.
Have you accomplished your teenage goals? There are probably few people that have accomplished them all. That's life.
On a side note: If you have a Birthday soon, make sure you sign up for the Birthday Freebies I have posted about! I have only taken advantage of the Sephora one so far this year, but it was a great one.